Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Monday, March 19, 2007
School of Computing & Information Technology
Project Coordinator : Zainudin Johari
The Project Module
The project is intended to be a learning experience by which you gain knowledge and skills that will be valuable to you in your future career. The project will be assessed and its mark will be an important component of your overall program. The project is a compulsory module in the final year and as such is regarded as a vital component of your course.
Who is the target Group
Only for students who have 2 or less subjects to finish their program.
Duration of project 1 semester.
Type of Project
Steps to be taken by Candidates
1. Select a suitable Project Title
2. Create a 2-3 pages of Project Proposal.
3. Send Project Proposal to Project Coordinator before the proposed deadline.
4. Have frequent meetings with Project Coordinators and Fellow Lecturers to ensure smooth flow of project.
5. Send draft (first -softcopy and second - hardcopy)on stipulated dates.
6. Prepare presentation slides ( not more than 10 slides).
7. Present on the stipulated dates that will be announced later.
8. Send final project after amendments and changes that have been made.
9. Wait for overall results.
Project Title Selection
Advisable the title should come from the candidate himself or herself
1. Title should be attractive, useful and beneficial.
2. Title should be related to problem solving in organizations.
3. Title that should be able to complete within the given time frame.
Candidate for the project should send in a proposal of the project at least 1 (one) week from the date of the briefing.
The content of the proposal should include:
- Title of project eg. MPH Bookstore Information Systems
- Academic Objectives – normally consist of research into an area of the project, to demonstrate theoretical understanding and practical application to the project.
- Systems Requirements – Hardware and Software requirements
- Scheduling management – Gantt Chart
- Complete Identification which include:
- Id Number
- Permanent Address
- Telephone Number
- Email address
The content of the Project Report should include:
Table of content
List of Tables
List of Figures
Chapter 1 : Introduction
Chapter 2: Literature Reviews
Chapter 3 : Methodology
Chapter 4 : Analysis
Chapter 5 : System Architecture and Design
Chapter 6 : Implementation
Chapter 7 : Summary :Conclusions & Future Works
|1||Introduction to Company Profile |
Name of Company, address, history of projects,
Company background, map, URL
Shipping products and services, send cards, letters & flyers, Calculate postage, locate post office, track and confirm etc
Layout, contact person, the job,
number of vacancies, tel/fax numbers,
Date, Selected venue, List of
Candidate names, qualifications, targeted tasks
Venue Cost, Allowances, Cabling, networking, salary, hardware and software,
Draw a Gantt Chart
Scheduling technique, time and task involve
Identify Entities involved, Symbols used, overall layout, within scope
/ 10 marks
Entities, Relationships, attributes selected, overall diagram, symbols used, primary key
Total /100 marks
B.SC (HONS) COMPUTING
CODE : IM 3059
SUBJECT : Workshop
weight : 100 %
B Sc Computing
Lecturer : Zainudin Johari
Due Date : April 5 2006
You are a System Manager for trading Software Company. Your company have been selected and entrusted to build a computerized Post Office Management Systems for Serdang International Post Office (SIPO) Berhad scheduled to be open at KL Sentral in Mid 2008. At the moment you have only 6 Programmers and 1 Senior Program Analyst. You are required to conduct an interview to recruit new staff to full fill the company objective in completing the project. The project estimated to cost around RM3million and will take duration of 1+1 years to complete.
The SIPO® is an independent establishment of the Executive Branch of the Malaysian Government. It operates in a businesslike way. The SIPO Service should offers a variety of consumer services, both at the Post Office and online. When you are designing SIPO it should be nothing but convenient.
In the more than ten years since SIPO® began, it has grown and changed with
Today, the SIPO™ delivers hundreds of millions of messages each day to more than 10 million homes and businesses domestically and worldwide.
This is the story of the evolution of the SIPO Service and the important role it has played in the development of the
- The Post Office Management Systems , may includes this modules:
- Shipping Tools Shipping Product and Services -Send domestic & international packages.
- Send Cards, Letters & Flyers - Use Services online. It's fast, easy, and affordable.
- Calculate Postage - You can calculate postage right from your computer. Select the type of service for your mailing needs. Have size, shape, weight and Poscode information ready.
- Locate Post Office – Find a post office near you
- Track and Confirm To check on the delivery status of your mailing, enter your label or receipt number in the space provided. Please be sure to enter all letters and numbers exactly as they appear on your label or receipt.
- Schedule Pick-up-
- PO Box Rentals - Get your mail conveniently with a SIPO™ Box.
Project will take 13 working months.
Select a Project Manager from the members of your group.
No outsourcing will be allowed.
1. Introduction about your company profile which includes address, name of company, board of directors, history of project ( at least 3 ) and others you think is beneficial that should be included in your profile.
2. Define that SIPO systems according to your own definition and understanding but must include those modules mentioned above and should state very clearly for the purpose of explaining to your Steering Committee and the Board of Directors. You can even add more functions if you feel necessary for your client benefits.
3. Advertise on paper regarding the recruitment. Show the complete layout of the advertisement, which includes address, contacts, telephone number and dead line.
4. Plan to Conduct an Interview. Which should includes :
Date, venue of interview, Number of candidates, potential candidates names with qualifications and targeted tasks, Prepare question to ask interviewee during interview, prepare interviewer panel, prepare result and selection.
5. Cost estimation for the interview sessions
6. Draw a GANTT Chart to schedule the entire project.
7. Prepare a Context Diagram and an appropriate Entity Relational Diagram for SIPO.
Any special finding you have investigated worth mentioning should be added to give your report an extra edge.
You are also encouraged to add in pictures of the relevant categories that you could acquire either from the Net or newspapers cuttings.
Make your report as realistic as possible as we all know that this is just a fictional exercise.
Assignments must be handed in on time or at least on the stipulated date.
Extensions will only be given under exceptional circumstances and will only be granted if notification is received in writing.
Some reasons for not allowing extensions are:
· Extensions are unfair to those who have worked hard to deliver assignments on TIME.
· The lecturer cannot cover the solution until the last assignment has been handed in
· A late assignment in my subject would usually leads to late assignments in other subject, and leading to a deterioration in the quality of work submitted
· Rigid deadlines exist in the real working environment.
All assignment work should be substantially your own
Working closely with someone else on a non-group assignment is considered cheating
Cheating or plagiarism will result in zero marks for the assignment, and may result in failing the subject or worse
All assignments must be A4 papers and bound firmly in the Project Report Cover clearly stated proper identification
Sunday, March 18, 2007
These resources might help for the assignment:
Effective Project Management, Robert K. Wysocki, Robert Beck Jr., David B. Crane, Wiley Computer Publishing, 2000
Software Project Mangement, Bob Hughes and Mike Cotterell, Mc Graw Hill, 2002
Dear Students, I am excited and honored to welcome each and every one of you to the beginning of a new school year at FTMS Cyberjaya Ca...
Dear Students, Welcome to ITBA. Welcome to my class . I look forward to having a great Semester and hope you will too. This class is ...
Dear Students, You may download your Entrepreneurship Skills Syllabus now. Entrepreneurship Skills Syllabus Regards Zainudin Johari...
Dear Students, Take note this is your Class ID and Enrollment Password Remember that you have to include your Project Proposal , Log...